To be eligible for consideration, applicants must hold a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. Please be advised that each area of emphasis has minimum competency requirements and completion of prerequisite courses may be required. Those holding undergraduate degrees can submit an application to a relevant Masters program at Boise State University where significant progress can be made towards the PhD degree. Applications will be accepted at any time, but program funding decisions will be made based on complete applications received by January 15 for Fall admission, and September 15 for Spring.
- Applicants without a Masters degree are recommended to have a GPA of 3.0 or better in the last 40 hours of undergraduate course work.
- Applicants with a Master’s degree is are recommended to have a GPA of 3.3 or better in their Master’s degree program.
- While submission of GRE scores is required, no minimum scores are explicitly specified. The GRE scores are evaluated together with applicant’s professional background.
- Applicants who have received their master’s degree may submit their previous official GRE scores for admission to the master’s program.
- Students whose native language is not English must submit a TOEFL score of 550 or higher for the paper-based examination and 80 or higher for the Internet-based examination, or an IELTS score of 6.0 or higher.
Emphasis area competency
- Computational Science & Engineering – upper division undergraduate coursework in differential equations, linear algebra, probability and statistics, and have computer programming experience with in a major language such as C, C++, Fortran, Java, or Python.
- Computer Science – core undergraduate coursework in computer science.
- Cybersecurity – undergraduate coursework in computer programming in a major language (such as C, C++, Java, or Python), datastructures, and computer networks.