Applications to the PhD in Computing must be submitted through the Graduate College’s online application system.
Required Application Items
Applications for admission must include all of the items below.
Applications missing one or more of the following items will not be forwarded for review.
- Statement of Purpose
- Official Transcripts
- 3 Letters of Rec
- GRE scores
- GRE Waivers
- TOEFL/IELTS Scores
A Statement of Purpose is a statement of your research experience, interests, and goals. When writing your statement:
- Clearly identify your chosen area of emphasis.
- Explain how you have met the minimum requirements for that emphasis. Minimum requirements are outlined on the Admission Requirements page.
- Talk about your programming experience. This degree requires that you either have or develop programming experience.
- Name at least three faculty members as potential advisors. A list of faculty, with links to profiles, sorted by emphasis area is available at http://computing.boisestate.edu/emphasis-area-faculty/
- Do not use templates. These two resources provide in-depth guidance on how to write a statement of purpose and prepare your application:
The Computing Ph.D. Program has a zero-tolerance policy regarding plagiarism. Applications that are found to contain plagiarized material will be denied.
Your CV should provide a detailed and comprehensive description of your academic and professional credentials and achievements.
Details on how to submit official transcripts can be found on this page: https://graduatecollege.boisestate.edu/official-transcripts/
We recommend requesting letters from a variety of sources, academic advisors, work supervisors, etc.
Submit scores to Boise State University. (code R4018).
Applicants should have a total score of at least 300.
Applicants who have completed a masters degree in a closely related field may request a waiver of the GRE requirement.
Applicants who request a waiver of the GRE should have completed a research-based thesis as the culminating activity for their Master’s degree.
To request a GRE waiver submit the request online via this Google Form.
The Program Co-Directors review waiver requests once per application due date. The deadlines below allow enough time for review and allow applicants to complete the GRE prior to the admission deadline if their waiver is not granted.
Waiver Request Deadlines
- November 21st (Fall priority admission January 5th)
- March 1st (Fall Admission)
- August 1st (Spring Admission)
- Submit scores to Boise State University (code R4018).
- International applicants who have successfully completed a Bachelors or Masters degree at a regionally-accredited US institution are exempt from submitting language test scores.
- International applicants whose native language is not English must submit a TOEFL score of 550 or higher for the paper-based examination and 80 or higher for the Internet-based examination or an IELTS score of 6.0 or higher.
- TOEFL scores of 587 (paper-based) 94 (internet based) or above are considered good or excellent.
- IELTS of 6.5 and above are considered good to excellent.
- Additional information about Boise State language test score requirements can be found on the international admissions website.