Applications to the PhD in Computing must be submitted through the Graduate College’s online application system.
Required Application Items
Applications for admission must include all of the items below.
Applications missing one or more of the following items will not be forwarded for review.
Statement of Purpose
This is a statement of your research experience, interests, and goals. When writing your statement:
- Clearly identify your chosen area of emphasis
- Explain how you have met the minimum requirements for that emphasis. Minimum requirements are outlined on the Admission Requirements page.
- Talk about your programming experience. This degree requires that you either have or develop programming experience.
- Name at least three faculty members as potential advisors. A list of faculty, with links to profiles, sorted by emphasis area is available at http://computing.boisestate.edu/emphasis-area-faculty/
- Do not use templates. These two resources provide in-depth guidance on how to write a statement of purpose and prepare your application:
The Computing Ph.D. Program has a zero-tolerance policy regarding plagiarism. Applications that are found to contain plagiarized material will be denied.
Your CV should provide a detailed and comprehensive description of your academic and professional credentials and achievements.
Details on how to submit official transcripts can be found on this page: https://graduatecollege.boisestate.edu/official-transcripts/
Three Letters of Recommendation
We recommend requesting letters from a variety of sources, academic advisors, work supervisors, etc.
Submit scores to Boise State University. (code R4018).
Applicants should have a total score of at least 300.
Applicants who have completed a masters degree in a closely related field may request a waiver of the GRE requirement.
- Requests must be submitted online via this Google Form.
- Requests must be submitted at least 2 weeks prior to the application deadline.
- Requests are reviewed and granted by the Program Co-directors.
- To waive the GRE requirement students must have completed a research-based thesis as the culminating activity for their Masters degree.
- Waiver of the GRE requirement does not guarantee nor improve chances of admission.
TOEFL or IELTS Scores (International Applicants)
- Submit scores to Boise State University (code R4018).
- International applicants who have completed a Bachelors or Masters degree at a regionally-accredited US institution are exempt from submitting language test scores.